We help people who work for themselves save time and money on things like insurance and taxes by providing simple, easy to use software, tools and services. The world’s largest work-for-yourself platforms like Uber, Etsy, Airbnb, Instacart, Postmates, Rover, TaskRabbit, Care.com, and others use Stride to help recruit, retain and motivate their communities of independent workers.
We're located in the heart of San Francisco's South Park district and we’re backed by leading investment firms including Venrock, New Enterprise Associates, and F-Prime Capital Partners.
Come help us take the work out of working for yourself!
About the role:
The Stride team is on the lookout for a smart, motivated Engineer to help take our Stride Finance backend to the next level. We are planning for many new things for our next iterations, so your work will be feature-heavy, and you'll have tons of say on its architecture and infrastructure. You will also be an advocate for best practices in RESTful services, infrastructure and database admin across the company.
As a business, we sit on a unique position and have partnerships with many of the giant work-for-yourself platforms who want to better serve their workforce.
On the engineering side, we use Node, Python, Swift, Postgres, Akka and some cool machine learning models you're going to love hearing about. More particularly on our Finance backend, we use ExpressJS for our RESTful services and we’re starting to dabble with Typescript.
- We have a wealth of financial data that our users are eager to use in novel ways, so you will help implement and release new features for the Stride Finance APIs.
- You will help modernize our codebase and infrastructure so we have a state-of-the-art architecture that applies best practices.
- You will be an advocate for solid and clean architecture principles, testing, Continuous Integration/Delivery.You will eventually own large chunks of the Finance backend codebase and infrastructure, and have a leading voice.
- You will be tasked with developing a backend architecture that allows for moving fast and iterating quickly, backed by a rock-solid infrastructure.
- You’ll closely work alongside our Product people to maintain and extend the feature set of the Stride for Finance APIs.
- You’ll collaborate with multiple Engineering and non-Engineering teams within the company on cross-functional efforts.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science (or a Software Engineering-related discipline) or equivalent professional experience.
- Some internship, personal project, or full-time backend engineering experience.
- You have deployed your apps/services to at least one cloud provider (AWS, GCP, Azure).
- Experience working with and designing RESTful APIs.
- Experience working with RDBMS such as Postgres/MySQL.Experience managing project builds and dependencies using NPM/others.
- Last but most important, you have a desire to grow and get things done inside and outside Backend and Software Engineering in general.
- Experience programming in Typescript/ExpressJS.Experience with an ORM.
- Experience with Redis caching.
- Full-stack software development experience, with a strong focus and background in React, Redux, HTML5, CSS3.
- You have implemented a serverless application/service.
- Experience with devops tools such as Terraform/Docker/Kubernetes.
At Stride we work hard, sweat the details, and enjoy life away from computer, too. We are a diverse group that celebrates and supports our differences. Our benefits include a competitive salary and equity package, health, dental, and vision plans, a kitchen stocked with healthy (and unhealthy) snacks, a stipend for wellness programs, commuter benefits, flexible vacation time, parental leave, a culture of learning and development, a dog-friendly office environment, and more!